It was supposed to rain Saturday, the 26th November 2005…
But there were blue skies and more than 150 walkers on hand as the Upstream Foundation hosted its debut event, a 50km walk to raise funds for Leprosy Mission Australia.
The first team of walkers kicked off at 6am, with the rest following over the next three hours. Teams headed along Mullum Mullum creek before joining the Main Yarra Trail. The picturesque paths followed the Yarra into the city and the walk’s final destination, Collingwood Football Club’s impressive Lexus Centre.
The first team crossed the finish line at 2.20pm. The majority of teams flowed in over several hours between 4.30-7.30pm, with the last team crossing the line at 8.15pm to a loudest cheer of the night! All the volunteers, support crew, family and friends gathered at the finish to cheer walkers over the line and enjoy a BBQ dinner together. There was a great feeling of community spirit the entire day, especially at the Lexus Centre. Awards were presented and a band entertained before everyone retreated to rest their weary feet! Kudos to Trevor Rowe, Darrin Davies and Alex Oberhofer (aka “Team Tango Delta One”), for completing the course in the fastest time of 7 hours, 9 minutes. (See below for additional awards winners)
The generosity of supporters and terrific fundraising skills of the participants was overwhelming, with one team raising over $18,000.
The event raised in excess of $105,000 (more than our target figure!) to go to Leprosy Mission Australia to help fund a vocational training centre in Bankura, India.
Other 2005 award winning teams:
- Fastest Mixed: Leprosy Mission # 1 (Cher Gordon & Rodney Scott)
- Fastest Female Team: Princesses
of the Land (Kim McDonald, Larissa Aumann & Megan Bumpstead)
- Encouragement Award: HARV
(Heidi Venten, Amy Curran &
- Top 5 Awards:
- Mangoes (Terence Chui, James Cheng, Andrew Chui)
- Southern Cross Community Church (Lindsay Tunbridge & David Griffiths)
- Highest Fundraising Teams:
- 5.5 per hour (Neil Tilley & David Richards)
- Bankura Blast (Clive Bird, Moira Merrick, Alex Milner & Greg Newman)
- On the Same Page (Wayne Darrington, Leigh Minehan & Gordon Hoen)