- The start times are generally staggered between 7am and 8am, however it will be subject to the number of entrants (anticipating two starts: 7am and 7:20am)
- Start times will be randomly allocated & published on the website from 5pm Monday 6th November.
- We accept requests to be allocated the same start time as other teams or individuals. Requests should be submitted via email before Monday 30th October
The start time for all 20km participants is 9:30am at Yarra Flats. Registration for the 20km will be at Yarra Flats from 8:30am.
Parking & Transport
We suggest taking public transport to the start as Richmond train station is immediately adjacent to Gosch’s Paddock. Parking is available by entering through entrance D of Melbourne & Olympic Parks here.
Heidelberg train station is 1.6 km from Yarra Flats (allow 20 min to walk). Limited parking is available, however please be mindful that support crews will also be using this car park throughout the day.
- Participants are required to register at least 30 minutes prior to their allocated start time
- All participants must register on event day
- Participants will receive an ID Race Bib at registration; it is to be worn and visible at all times during the event
Water and toilets are available at both starting locations.
Participants need to be ‘marked off’ at each of the checkpoints by officials. Please take note of the open and close times of checkpoints.
|CP#3: Yarra Flats||
Massage, physio and podiatry
HPC Physiotherapy and Sports Injuries will be at CP3 from about 10am to 2pm and at the finish line from about 3pm to 5pm to provide assistance to participants. Please note that these times vary, subject to how busy they are.
What to wear/carry
These are some suggestions – you might think of some other essentials for your individual requirements. Just keep in mind that you probably don’t want to be carrying a heavy load for 50 km!!
- Comfortable walking/running shoes (previously worn in during your training hopefully)
- Comfortable socks
- Camelbak / small backpack
- Water containers/hydration system with min. 2 L capacity. (Hydration systems are recommended as it can allow for more frequent drinking)
- Mapbook or maps.me app
- Mobile phone
- Money for emergencies
- Snacks in 3 categories: high energy, salty and/or sweet
- Sun block
- Spare socks
A support crew’s main purpose is to provide walkers with food & refreshments and much needed encouragement at various stages along the track and to help transport the walkers to and from the event. Although it is possible to complete the event without a support crew, we do recommend you organise someone to assist in this manner. It saves carrying more food etc. and they can be a great help to get you through. A few tips are to:
- Use mobile phones to communicate with participants.
- Make sure you’ve talked to your team before the event to make sure you understand what they need and what their estimated times of arrival are at checkpoints.
- Keep a drinks and snacks on hand for your friend – including sports drinks, high energy snacks or special treats, lunch, sun protection, change of clothes, socks or shoes and first aid products.
- Give your friend encouragement and motivation, particularly towards the end of the walk.
- Ensure your friend is hydrating regularly and monitor their progress, as sometimes the effects of heat exhaustion or dehydration are more evident to observers.
- Read the checkpoint information so that you are aware of exact locations and facilities at each checkpoint prior to the event day. Click here for checkpoint locations.
- Get them to carry spare clothes for all types of weather (including change of clothes for finish)
The finish at Donvale Christian College will be a great chance to invite friends and family to help celebrate your achievements. It will be a relaxed and casual atmosphere where participants can start to recover while supporters enjoy the festivities. There will be a BBQ (free for participants) and showers. Please note that only Start and Finish times will be recorded by the organizers. Published finish times for teams will be of the last team member who crosses the finish line. Public transport is not easily accessible from the finish line. Nunawading station is the closest (approx. 6km away), there will be a shuttle bus to take participants to Nunawading station and Yarra Flats, more details will be available closer to the event. Parking can be very busy at the finish. Please enter the school either via gates 1, 2 or 4 (see map) and be patient finding a park.